Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Lug Attention

Didn't get much done today but I did spend some time prepping the lugs. Basically I used a dremel, files and sand paper to grind out the inside of the lugs a bit so that the tubing would fit in nicely. You don't want the tubing sliding all over the place in the lug but you don't want to have to beat it in there with a hammer either. You need to have a nice, snug fit so that when you start to heat things up you get that capillary action going on and the silver fills the lug up completely . On the first two frames I used the cheap stamped lugs from Nova and it seemed like I had to grind all kinds of material out of them to get a good fit but these lugs were like butter to get right. I also spent some time cleaning up the outsides of the lug and filing the edges perpendicular where they meet the tubing. I really want to do a good job with the shorelines this time and paying some extra attention to the lugs might help with this. Plus I think it looks really sweet when the lug lines are really crisp. Hopefully I will get to start mitering the tubing in the next day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment