Saturday, September 11, 2010

Head Tube Clean up & Frame #2

Today I spent some time cleaning up the head tube lugs. Before I started this I went back in and filled some little gaps with silver. I hate going back and having to do this and it always gets the lugs even messier so that there is even more to clean up. I really want to get better at brazing so that I can bang it out perfect first time.


To get the lugs clean I use a couple different files, emery cloth and sometimes a dremel. It takes me way longer then I would like get it clean because there is a lot of excess silver on and around the lug. I'll work on these some more later on to get them exactly how I want but for now I'll move on to cleaning the seat lug and bottom bracket.

This is a pic of the second frame I built when it was almost finished. If you look close you can see some excess silver under the seat lug and on the seat stay cap I still needed to take care of. You can  also see very clearly my disorganized ghetto work bench.


I set this frame up with a bunch of random components I had laying around so its not to cohesive in that department. I wanted to see how well it rode before I invested in any parts or a paint job so I just put it together with what I had. It ended up feeling really good and I have been riding it pretty hard for the last couple weeks.



 After I took it on a couple decent rides (10-20 miles) I was confident that it wasn't going to explode under me or anything crazy. I even ended up taking it to NYC last weekend and doing like 60 + miles  around the city and over the G.W. bridge to Jersey.  I think I'm going to ride it around a bit more and then hook it up with a paint job if she still treating me right. Maybe I'll even invest in a matching wheel set and brakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment